Monday, March 3, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!


Awesome! My birthday present just arrived - a 900 page, 10 lb. epic work of automotive design philosophy and practice (and its companion workbook).

This isn't exactly light reading, so I imagine it'll take me awhile to go through it. At first glance it doesn't seem too daunting, at least compared to some of my engineering textbooks. I know that it's referenced heavily wherever vehicle analysis is discussed, so I'm looking forward to reading it!

I know, I'm a dork.

Here's a locost tip - get a friend who's in the SAE to buy it for you. The set is 25% cheaper to members.

3 comments:

wheresmymind said...

This looks like one cool project...I now wish you were my neighbor so that I could pop by on Saturdays to see the progress (well..that and to get some "Q") lol

JHM said...

Hi William - just read your comment son LocostUSA re-garding design first build faster and I'm in agreement. Coincidentally I've just finished reading Race Car Vehicle Dynamics and just wished I'd had that book under my arm when I was at university. The Milikens have a way of making the maths far more accessible than my old aeronautical tomes ever did. Anyway the point of my note was to let you know about a trley great book for any budding Locost designer. Racing and Sportscar Chassis Design by Costin and Phipps. Miek Costin was head of engineering at Lotus when he wrote the book in 1962. You'll have to search the book out, because its way out of print, but its worth it just for appendix 1 which goes through the stress analysis of car spce frame - looks suspiciously like a Lotus 7 frame.

Cheers,
James

William Conway said...

James - Thanks for the comment. I have that book on my nightstand. I got it on e-bay for $40. I agree, it's a fantastic book.