Thursday, March 13, 2008

Atlanta area Locost builders' meetup

Last weekend I met with several Atlanta builders to introduce ourselves and chat about Locost stuff. We all had a great time, and it was nice talking about the car with a group who are as passionate about building a locost as I am.


Additionally, I finally got to sit in a Locost/Lotus/Caterham sized frame (thanks eVox!). My first reaction is that the car is tiny! Unless I give up lateral support in the seats, I think I'm going to have to widen the frame to fit my physique. I'm trying to lose as much weight as possible before starting my build, but even then things are going to be tight.

I'd been resisting building a plus sized frame for some time, but I do think something's got to give. The Gibbs chassis is a +221, meaning it's 2" wider, 2" longer and 1" taller than the earlier Champion design. I think the extra 1" per passenger will make a big difference.


The extra width would also come in handy in the driver's footwell. It's a little tight, especially with my clod-hoppers on. I may have to invest in a pair of driving shoes.

No matter what, sitting in a mostly completed frame underscores the need for some kind of seating buck to simulate the passenger compartment of the finished car. Better to find out I don't fit before I start cutting metal...

1 comment:

miek said...

There are plans for a widened and elongated chassis out there. Try www.mcsorley.net/locost/ he has plans for 'the book' chassis extend 4"x4"x2"